Updates

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New Thing #39--Parking Space Roulette

Last week one of my students came in complaining that someone parked in "his" parking space. We use a surface lot at the neighboring city park and there is no assigned parking. When I pointed this out to him, he asked me why I always park in the same place if we don't have spots.

Why do I? I had to think about that one. Force of habit, I guess. I always park on the same side of the lot at the grocery store, and in the same row at the gym. That way I have one less thing to remember when I exit the building. But there are only 4 or 5 cars each day at work...it shouldn't be hard to remember where I parked!

I'm always the first to get there, so I can set up for the day, and I just pull in the spot that's closest to the door. The only time I pick a different one is during snowy weather (about 3 or 4 times a year); the park lot is a very low city priority and doesn't get plowed until everything else is done.

Today I parked in a different spot. Not just one space away from my normal spot, but in the next row around the center island. It took me an extra 20 seconds to walk to the building, but it was worth it for the variety. Who knew that being flexible could be so easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment