The process has been very informal. There was no interview; I got first crack at this opening, and all of the communication has been by e-mail. In the latest message, I was asked what my salary requirements were. I know that's a commonly-asked question, but one I've never had to think about before. Today I discussed my salary requirements for a job.
My job history:
- In high school and college I worked at minimum-wage jobs in retail or service positions.
- After graduation I taught for several years, and got paid according to the salary schedule.
- I took a verrry long break from paid employment after my children were born. When I eased back into the work force, it was at our local parochial school doing playground duty and substitute teaching. There were set amounts for each of these
- Next I worked part time in an office. Each of the people working there were part-time, and we all received the same hourly wage.
- I started working with a friend at the tutoring center (for a set monthly amount) that I later took over (my compensation depended on how many students were enrolled)