Updates

Monday, November 10, 2008

New Thing #304--Do Your Pants Hang Low?

Sagging is a "fashion" trend that doesn't seem to want to go away. Most of my male students wear their pants a size or two too large, so they rest on their hipbones instead of their waistline. How do I know this? They wear shirts that are normal length, so when they raise their arms you can see a portion of their boxers sticking up above their pants.

Since the whole point of sagging seems to be to get adults to roll their eyes, maybe if "old people" banded together and joined in with this fashion, the kids would decide it wasn't cool. Today I wore sagging pants.

From my observations, there are two parts to a successful sag: colorful boxer shorts and too-big pants. Since I don't have anything in my closet that meets the criteria, I was forced to be creative. My "boxers" were striped cotton pajama shorts. The outer layer was a pair of black knit ankle-length pants that I pulled down about eight inches so they were correct pant length. That made the pant's seat and the crotch come down proportionally, and showed the top of the shorts . I wore a white dress shirt that hung down and covered the exposed "undergarment". The stripes could be seen through the shirt if you looked hard, though, and when I raised my arms, the shirt rose up enough to show the top of the shorts.

My pants fit snugly around my hips. I definitely didn't have to worry about them falling down! Walking around was uncomfortable, and going up and down the stairs was a real challenge. The pants pocket, which normally sits at the hip on these pants, ended up being halfway down my thigh; it was very annoying when I put my cell phone in there.

I was glad when I got home and was able to swap out my "sags" for normal pants!

11 comments:

  1. So you did not tell us what the students thought. I personally love it. I will say that most of these boys do out grow this fad from what I've seen in my days on the streets of New Orleans. Please do tell us if the students noticed

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always when I've done something weird with my appearance, no one mentioned anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That is SO funny! I might try that with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn! I too was hoping that you got a good reaction from your students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, if you try this let me know what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like hardly anyone wears super baggy clothes anymore. It's possible that with all the cold weather we have it's too chilly to dress that way [tight layers are the way to go]. You should move to neat and orderly Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you wear it like that to school?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. You wore that to school? What did the kids think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far this year I've worn these to work: mis-matched clothing, two different shoes, a green bra under a white shirt, a jester cap, and slippers. I colored my hair magenta, and put a temporary tattoo on my ankle. Now the "sagging" pants.

    I've only received ONE comment on all of those. I don't know if my students are just oblivious, or accepting of differences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really funny. But I'm glad you are back to wearing your clothes appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. rofl - you can be so funny... love some of the things you try out.. shame either they don't notice or don't say anything to you

    ReplyDelete