Updates

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New Thing #298--Goodies For Voters

Today I voted (NOT a New Thing), but then I got rewarded for voting by getting a free cup of Starbucks Coffee for proving that I voted.

My voting experience this morning was quick and painless, despite all the media predictions. I made an adventure of casting my ballot by walking to my polling place, counting all the political signs I saw along the way. When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to see there was no line to speak of. I had to wait behind one person at the processing table, and then for about five minutes for a machine after I'd received my ballot. I'd done my research, so filling out the ballot was easy. When I finished, I received an "I Voted" sticker. I walked home in the beautiful fall weather satisfied I had done my part in this historic election.

Later, when I was reading the newspaper, an article caught my eye. It was about places where you could get "freebies" for proving you voted. That's how I found myself at Starbucks after work, along with a couple dozen other people, the vast majority there for the same reason I was.

The atmosphere was festive. We exchanged stories of our voting experiences while we waited to reach the counter. Although the baristas were cranking out the promotional coffees (no choices allowed--a Tall Coffee of the Day), it took almost as long to receive my drink as it did to cast my ballot!

My schedule won't allow me to leverage my voting sticker for any other free items today, but it's sure nice of all the companies to acknowledge people who exercise their rights.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't received any calls, but I'm on the 'no call' list. I think most of the voters turned out this morning. I tried to vote right at 7am and it was a crazy 2 hour line, so I went back at 2pm and didn't wait one second.

    I'm very anxious about the results. MSNBC just announced that McCain has won Kentucky. Ugh...this is nerve wrecking yet exciting because it's so close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish that I had gone to Starbucks sporting my sticker! We ended up having to wait a little under an hour, but it was definitely worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see you took your responsibilities seriously and voted today.. nice to see another fellow voter (though I am not eligible for US only UK elections)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so jealous! Americans officially have everything! Stickers when you vote! Free things when you vote! Barack Obama!

    It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also got my sticker after voting, but then had to get to work so no time then to stop by Starbucks. After work, all I could think about was how tired I was and that I needed to get horizontal for at least an hour before watching the returns on tv. So, Starbucks (where I go several days a week) got a break from me on the one day they give away something free. ;-)

    ReplyDelete