Updates

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New Thing #320--Write On

The One-Minute Writer was a Blogger Blog of Note for November. Although I've read it on a semi-regular basis since then, none of its ideas appealed to me until today, when I participated in a One-Minute Writer Prompt.

The blog's premise:
Who's got the time to journal daily? You do.

1. Read the daily writing prompt.

2. Push "Play" on the timer on the right side of the screen.

3. Spend 60 seconds or less writing a response to the daily prompt.
Beth, the blog's author, offers a daily prompt to help inspire creativity. Today's was Transportation: "Describe your primary mode of transportation. Do you wish it was different?"

Because I wanted to write my response here, I used two screens (one for each blog) so I could still take advantage of the timer. It was quite challenging to write when time was literally ticking away.

After thinking about the prompt for a while, I started writing. This is what I came up with:
My primary mode of transportation is my car.

I don't have to drive very much; many days all I do is go to the gym (5 miles round trip) and work (3 miles round trip). I try to do errands once a week, and plan them to minimize driving.

I wish my area had better public transportation so I didn't have to always rely on my car, but our area defeated a tax increase earlier in the month, so if anything there'll be fewer buses running.
I have to admit that when I was composing, I didn't worry about spelling or punctuation; I went back and cleaned things up in my selection after the minute was up.

4 comments:

  1. That's an interesting writing idea. The trick is coming up with the seed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too true Gregg... pressure is not a writers best friend (or a blogger's)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is indeed a good idea. I love writing, but I find I do need a prompt. My blog did that for an entire year - prompting me to write more creatively outside of it as well. These days...not so much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat idea! I will definitely check out this website from time to time

    ReplyDelete