Updates

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

New Thing #200--Bag It

I've done my best to be more "green" this year. My newly-acquired habits include giving up bottled water and using canvas tote bags instead of paper OR plastic from the store.

However, there's one last frontier I need to cross--plastic produce bags. We're making an effort to eat lower on the food chain, so that means more fruit and veggies coming into the house. The bags are starting to pile up, which means something has to be done. I already use the bags for some things, like storing food and for covering leftovers in the refrigerator, but I was bringing in the bags faster than I could use them up.

Today I took some produce bags back to the grocery store and reused them. Just like my motly collection of tote bags, my handful of produce bags was diverse. There were yellow, green, and clear bags with several different store logos. I stuffed the bags inside one of the totes and walked into the store. I though it would be a big deal, but it wasn't. When I pulled them out in the produce department, no one noticed what I was doing. The cashier didn't make a comment, either.

I came home and immediately put all the bags back into the car. Hopefully I can remember to carry them into the store the next time so I can do this Thing more than once!

1 comment:

  1. That is a very good idea. I use string bags for my produce, but I still manage to get some of the plastic ones too. They just go into the recycle box. My daughter found some very small string bags at a resale store that she uses. Mine are bigger and sometimes don't work for some small items.

    ReplyDelete