Updates

Sunday, July 20, 2008

New Thing #191--Game On

Last week we bought a new TV for the family room. Because we want it to last for a LONG time, we went with a higher-end model. Based on our past electronics purchases, I'm sure it will be really old technology by time we get rid of it. After some consultation with our "techie" children and a couple of salespeople, we ended up getting an LCD model with 1080p resolution. The picture on this TV is amazing.

Because we were getting a TV with high definition, we (read-male members of the family) decided we needed to upgrade the DVD player too. According to several salespeople, for the money the best Blu-ray player on the market is actually a PlayStation 3 system! We bought the new equipment, wires, and peripherals, then spent a good chunk of last weekend untangling the wires from the old TV components and setting up the new ones. After watching the promotional disk included with the PS3 player, we decided we needed some movies or games to take advantage of its capabilities. Blu-ray movies are still quite expensive, so I bought myself a video game.

As I wrote a couple of months ago, I have the worst eye-hand coordination imaginable. For that reason I've stayed away from video games. I'm not a fan of violent games, or those with raunchy themes, and I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money for something that would probably only frustrate me. After looking at several stores, I ended up purchasing a used Sonic the Hedgehog game; I remembered the original version of this game from years ago.

Our system came with one controller. When Tony left to run some errands this afternoon, I fired up the game. The graphics were really impressive, and since the system is hooked up to the surround sound, the music filled the room. Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the first level of the game, so the repetition of that music got REALLY annoying. About that time the cats decided it was time to eat, and I was all too happy to agree with them.

3 comments:

  1. ...And that's why you MUST put on your favorite CD while learning a new game.

    To this day, every time I hear the band Soft Cell I think of the original Sonic the Hedgehog. Weezer's album Pinkerton -- that reminds me of a trick-shot pool game I was really in to at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A simple game (though sometimes addictive) is The Sims. I love it. I was surprised how fun it was despite being so basic and so based on plain daily activities.

    I bought my PS2 because I needed a DVD player and it was cheaper to get the system. Now I want blu ray so I will eventually have to upgrade to the PS3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cool that you got yourself a game. That's a cool tip through on the BlueRay game station stuff. Had no idea.

    ReplyDelete