Updates

Friday, July 25, 2008

New Thing #196--Toot Toot Tootsie

I don't go barefoot much in the summer, but by this point in the season, I usually have dry, cracked skin on my heels and the bottom of my feet. It's pretty annoying, so today I set out to take care of the problem. I used a homemade scrub to exfoliate my feet.

Google gave me thousands of hits for my search; I tried to find the simplest possible recipe. The one I chose used only two ingredients--granulated sugar and hand lotion. The directions were equally simple--mix a cup of sugar and two tablespoons of lotion in a bowl and work the mixture into your feet, then rinse it off and pat dry.

I didn't have a lot of sugar in the house, so I cut the recipe in half. I mixed the sugar and lotion together in a measuring cup, then decided to do the exfoliation outside to cut down on the mess. I sat on the patio with my feet sticking out into the grass, scooped up a glob of the mixture with my fingers, and started scrubbing. At first I didn't notice anything, but then all of a sudden the sugar granules started working on those dead skin cells, and my feet started tingling. The scrub got quite gray and dingy, which I assume was all the dead skin coming off.

Even though I only made half a recipe, the reduced amount was more than enough. I used a little bit extra to scrub the dead skin off my hands, then hit my elbows while I was at it. There was STILL some left over, so I put the leftovers in a container for the next time.

Hours later my hands and feet still feel soft; almost as good as when I got suckered into letting a girl use Dead Sea Salt scrub at a kiosk at the mall!

3 comments:

  1. I tried this yesterday, and I have to agree - this recipe works! I stood in the bathtub and exfoliated my arms and legs too. My skin still feels soft today.

    Thanks Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading this post, I kept waiting for a punch line. Something like: and then a swarm of bees landed on my toes. :)

    ReplyDelete