Updates

Saturday, July 19, 2008

New Thing #190--Get Wet

Ahhhh...summer in St. Louis. The temperature's in the mid-90s, and the humidity's high.

The grass needed to be cut today. It was my turn to do the trimming, and I was drenched in perspiration after I got done. I came inside; the air conditioner felt great, but I knew I'd keep sweating for a while until my body cooled off. My favorite cure for this problem is to run some cool water in the bathtub, plop my sweaty body in it, and let the water cool me off. Today it was too much work to disrobe before I got in the tub, so I took a bath with my clothes on.

My clothes were already wet and sticking to my body, so it was actually easier to just get in the water without taking them off. The tub isn't long enough to stretch out in, so I stuck my head under the faucet to wet my head, then leaned back to enjoy the experience. After a couple of minutes, I decided that some bubbles might be a nice touch.


When it was time to get out, I had a problem. I didn't have a laundry basket to carry the soaking wet clothes downstairs in, so I ended up just leaving them in the drained tub.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog today. And I strongly advise you to take a real bath! You cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,
    This is a great picture. Your spontaneity is delightful!
    I've cooled off completely clothed before, but it was either in a pool, lake, or somehow getting sprayed by a hose, always outdoors though.
    I found your blog a couple weeks ago when you were posting about vacationing in my Cleveland neighborhood.
    I'm simply writing to let you know how much I'm enjoying these glimpses into your life.
    Also the mother of three who just recently turned fifty, it's a relief to see that I'm not so unique in this mid-life wackiness.

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, cracked up reading it.. what a hoot

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one to have this attitude. I was loading up the mini van with my family of five's luggage at our hotel in Myrtle Beach on a 95 degree, 90% humidity day. After two trips, my shirt was sticking to me and my underwear was too. My suitcase was still in the nice, air conditioned room with the family. I took out another complete outfit and put it in a small duffel bag and told them not to touch it. I made a few more trips until my duffel bag was the only thing left. I was sweaty and my head was radiating heat. I was cranky and the last thing I wanted to do was pile into a fully-loaded Chevy Venture with wife and kids. I walked out back and stepped off into the motel pool's deep end and let myself sink. I didn't even pause to take off my flip flops. I just let them slip off my feet in the water. By the time I floated back up, my whole attitude had changed. Ever since, I have always done what was right for me at the moment as long as it didn't harm or interfere with anyone else.

    ReplyDelete