Updates

Saturday, January 19, 2008

New Thing #8--Ni hao (Hello)

Today I drove to University City to pick up a pair of shoes I'd ordered. Tony came with me.

There's now an unofficial Chinatown along that stretch Olive Boulevard. We shopped in a Chinese grocery store called the Olive Farmers Market. Everything was well-marked in Chinese and English. Their fish department featured fresh whole fish, crabs that were still moving, and live conch.

We sampled some steamed buns, and Tony bought some to cook for dinner tomorrow night. I bought a huge bottle of Sriracha hot sauce for Donald, because our bottle at home was almost empty.

As we were checking out, I thanked the cashier in Chinese (one of the two words I remember from our trip, the other being "hello").

No comments:

Post a Comment