Updates

Sunday, September 21, 2008

New Thing #254--Step on a crack...

Even though the Autumnal Equinox isn't for a couple of days, today felt like a perfect early fall day. Tony and I walked to church, about a half-hour each way. On the way home I walked without stepping on a crack in the sidewalk.

When I walk, I normally just worry about avoiding piles of dog dirt, dodging low-hanging tree limbs, or tripping on the raised edge of a sidewalk. I've always heard the superstition, "step on a crack, break your mother's back". However, it's never occurred to me to worry about the negative effects of putting my foot right on top of the sidewalk seams. Since my Mom is long-deceased, I didn't have to worry about this happening:



While I made a conscious effort to avoid the sidewalk cracks along the way, I was still able to walk pretty normally. The biggest difference is that I had to look at the ground more often than I would otherwise. The sections of sidewalk that I traveled are fairly new; they were mostly symmetrically in size, (which made it easy to walk without stepping on the seams). However, some sections (particularly at the bottom of the driveways) were larger and harder to navigate.

2 comments:

  1. I used to do this all the time when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picturing a person doing this is hilarious!! I'm sure it was a bit difficult and annoying to not get to see all the things around you. Now that you have done that, hopefully you won't do it again.

    Enjoy the scenery, the people watching, and the people around you.

    ReplyDelete