Updates

Thursday, September 11, 2008

New Thing #244--The Missing Link

I was sitting at the kitchen table, fixing a broken necklace chain, when I dropped the link I needed. I heard it clink on something hard. Grumbling, I checked the kitchen table. Nothing. I looked on my chair and the chair next to me with no luck.

Expanding my search, I looked at the floor immediately under my chair. All I could see were a couple of crumbs from breakfast (distinctive red sprinkles from my Pop Tart) . Finding the tiny piece of the chain looked like it was going to be tough. I grabbed the broom from the laundry room and started sweeping carefully. When I was done I examined the dirt from the kitchen floor.

The floor hadn't been swept for a couple of days, so there was a big pile of debris. Although I saw:
  • a lot of hair (both mine and the cats)
  • assorted food crumbs (from under the table)
  • cat litter (from the laundry room, where the litter box is)
  • pieces of eggshell
  • a piece of a wrapper from sugar-free mints
  • strands of corn silk (from last night's corn on the cob)
  • a staple (when I saw the silver color, I thought I'd found the piece I was looking for)
there was no chain link. I have no idea where it could have gone. I suppose it will show up weeks from now, after I've taken my chain to the store to get fixed and I've swept the floor multiple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment