Updates

Monday, September 15, 2008

New Thing #248--Garden Garments

Today felt like the first day of fall. In honor of the cool weather, I pulled out a skirt I hadn't worn since last year, added a polo shirt and a strand of vintage jade beads. I even wore nylons for the first time in several months!

I got to work, finished setting up for the day, then sat outside and enjoyed the weather. One by one, each of the students called to say they'd be late. All had a valid reason, but that still left me with extra time before I had to start work. I wanted to do something with my time, so I decided to do a good deed. Even though I wasn't exactly dressed for it, I pulled weeds while wearing work clothes.

I went around to the street side of the building. My tutoring center uses the basement entrance, so I don't often see the front. There is a walkway leading up to the door, and a small bed covered with gravel and planted with monkey grass that runs the length of the walkway. There were quite a few weeds growing in the empty areas--crabgrass, a lot of nutsedge, and a couple of yellow clover plants. There were also a few tree saplings that had sprouted over the summer.

The weeds were easy to pull because of all the rain we've had the past few days. The saplings even pulled right out, too; they hadn't developed much of a root system yet. The only thing that I couldn't budge was a maple tree that was about a foot high. It had branched out quite a bit; I pulled as hard as I could, but it wouldn't move. I went inside, got a knife, and cut the branches back to the ground.

As you might expect, my hands got pretty dirty, and I got mud under my fingernails. After I finished, I came in, washed my hands, and got all the crud off. I tried to keep my clothes clean and neat during all this work, and for the most part I succeeded. I did get one smear of dirt on the hem of the shirt, but I got most of it off and the shadow it left wasn't too noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment