Updates

Thursday, May 22, 2008

New Thing #132--Mayhem in the Midwest

Back in April I volunteered at a pledge drive for KDHX, our local community radio station. Several weeks later I received a ticket for Midwest Mayhem, their yearly party for members and volunteers that's held at the City Museum. I'm not sure how many years they've been having this event, but I've never been, so today I attended the coolest volunteer appreciation event ever!

When my kids were all in school, I sometimes felt like a professional volunteer. When they were in elementary school, I was a room mother, reading volunteer, Tiger Cub organizer, Cub Scout leader (and the Committee Chair for the Pack), and playground duty supervisor. I also volunteered for innumerable one-time classroom activities. When we moved into high school, every school organized an auction to raise money; lots of hands were needed there. There were also other Mother's Club meetings and activities to volunteer for. Other than the occasional thank-you note, and an end-of-the-year volunteer appreciation breakfast there wasn't much reward.

Tonight's party really lapped all the other appreciations I've ever had. Not only did I get to attend the main event, my ticket also allowed me to attend a pre-party just for volunteers. Tony and I got to get in early and climb on, over, and through the Enchanted Caves and MonstroCity at the City Museum without a lot of other people around. We even slid down the huge slide that goes from the second to the first floor.

There were 12 different bands from just about every genre you could think of-pop, blues, bluegrass, zydeco, country, reggae, jazz, and hip-hop on four different stages. We spent some time at each of the stages and really enjoyed all the bands we saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment