Updates

Sunday, March 30, 2008

New Thing #79--Zap the Dirt!

The calendar says it's spring; the trees are starting to bud and I saw some daffodils in bloom yesterday, but it sure doesn't feel like spring. If it rains as forecasted today and tomorrow, we'll have the wettest March in more than 100 years.

However, even if it doesn't feel like it, time marches on. There were tips for spring cleaning in yesterday's newspaper that inspired me, so after the weekly cleaning of the bathrooms I decided to clean my microwave.

The nice folks at wikiHow had directions for cleaning microwaves, which sounded pretty easy. Basically, you cook some water for 5 minutes in the microwave, which steams up the walls, and then wipe away the dried-on gunk. Since my microwave also smelled funny, I added an optional splash of lemon juice to the water, which they said would leave a "lemony fresh scent".

After 5 minutes of cooking, I tried to clean the oven. The cooked-on grease on the ceiling wouldn't budge. I tried 5 more minutes of boiling. Still not much luck, although this time the walls got pretty clean. I got out the baking soda, mixed it with water and used it as an abrasive. Although some of the crud came off of the top, most of it was still there.

I finally threw in the towel, and decided that as long as the floor and the walls were shiny, I just wouldn't look at the microwave ceiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment