Updates

Saturday, March 29, 2008

New Thing #78--Salaam

The area of St. Louis county I live in is pretty white-bread, but there seems to be a small concentration of Muslims. The Islamic Foundation of St. Louis has a mosque and day school about 15 minutes from my house. For the past year and a half I've gone to the gym almost every day and passed a grocery store, Salam Market. I always said I'd go in, but never did. Today, however, I shopped in a Middle Eastern market.

The store had just opened for the day when Tony and I got there. The clerk was very friendly, and let us browse around. I remembered I finished the yogurt yesterday, so I grabbed a container. Unlike at my regular store, I had to choose from four different brands! I thought about buying some halal meat for lunch, but I was hungry and didn't want to cook it at home, so I passed.

As I was checking out, the clerk asked if we wanted some fresh bread. Since Tony and I are both suckers for good bread, we said yes. It was still warm from the oven; there was condensation from the heat on the inside of the bag. I don't know what it's called, but the bread was flat like a pita, about 18" in diameter, and wonderfully chewy. Tony grabbed some white cheese, we paid and were on our way. We gorged ourselves on bread, cheese, and orange juice for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment