Updates

Sunday, March 2, 2008

New Thing #51--My Heroes

As you may have gathered if you've read some of my previous posts, I am friends with many young people in recovery for substance abuse. Today I went to a graduation ceremony for a Twelve-Step drug treatment program.

There were 21 young adults that graduated. They walked in to "Pomp and Circumstance", then were seated in two rows on the stage. After the opening remarks, each of the graduates spoke for about 2 minutes. Some of the speeches were funny, and some were poignant. All were quite moving. I saw quite a few audience members with tears in their eyes.

After the speeches, each of the graduates received a necklace from their counselors, then the ceremony closed. There were many hugs, "I Love Yous", and a few more tears. The graduates are an inspiration to me; they have overcome obstacles that I can't imagine to be the happy, smiling people I saw today.

No comments:

Post a Comment