Updates

Friday, January 9, 2009

New Thing #364--Why Yes, It IS All About Me!

What do you do when you've come to the end of a year-long project? You throw a party for yourself!

The invitation said:
On my 49th birthday last January, I committed to do a new activity every day for a year. Come help me celebrate the completion of my project with food and dancing.
The whole experience was wonderful! Because I wanted to dance, we hired a DJ. Our house isn't big enough for dancing, so we rented a facility. I made mountains of mostaccioli, chopped and blanched veggies, and bought food, beverages, and cake.


Here's the table decorations. I started with paper bags I made myself, then added blades of ornamental grass from my garden that I spray painted gold, and pieces of garland with black "stems" and metallic discs.




I've made food for large groups before, but the events have always been at our house; tonight we had to take the food somewhere else. It was a challenge to keep the cold things cold and the hot things hot. Tony and I both took a car, and they were both filled to the brim!


It took a while to set the room up, but when the first guests showed up it really started to feel like a party. After dinner the dancing started; the DJ played a song from the year I was born and the years I turned 10, 17, and 20. Those were followed by a song from the year I got married and the year each of my children were born. The whole room was dancing along with me.

All too soon the night was over. We cleaned our stuff up and drove home. I'd turn 50 every year from now on if I could have another party like this one!

9 comments:

  1. Such a fun way to celebrate! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...i'm so excited for you...i'm sad that your new things blog will be done though! :(
    happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!! This was a great series....just because you are now 50 doesn't mean that you should stop doing something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous time was had by all, and especially the birthday girl. Congratulations, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate -- and what an exciting year it has been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Kathy! I hope you continue to write through the next year. I've enjoyed your enthusiasm for your "new thing" project. Best wishes for the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it's been a year--I remember when you first posted this. What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great thing to have accomplished--I remember when you posted about this a year ago. Hard to believe it's been so long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was SO exciting to come home and see all the nice comments. Thanks to all of you.

    ReplyDelete