Updates

Monday, June 23, 2008

New Thing #164--Patchwork

My friend Dana gave me the suggestion to make a quilt block for a Thing. I thought it was a great idea, and added it to my list. I was at Borders over the weekend, and I came across a quilting kit. I remembered Dana's suggestion, so I purchased the kit and brought it home. Today I made a pillow-sized quilt block.

The Quilt-It Kit included 15 project cards and patterns (and fabric for the project I made), a how-to-booklet, and needle and thread. The quilt batting and backing for my project were not included, nor was the pillow form for the finished pillow.

My project was the Back to Square One Pillow. The first step was to enlarge the pattern sheet to the correct size (200% larger than what I was given). I went the copy store, and after some trial-and-error came up with an acceptable pattern. I came home, cut the pattern pieces apart, and pinned ALL 17 OF THEM to the fabric. After I cut them all out, the rest was easy. The pieces went together like a big puzzle a layer at a time. It was really satisfying to see all my work come together.


The next step is to buy the materials and do the actual quilting. Hmmm...sounds like another Thing to me. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment