Updates

Saturday, April 26, 2008

New Thing #106--Being of Service

I belong to a very large parish; there are many opportunities for service there. There are so many organizations that will accept your volunteer time, it's hard to choose among them. Sometimes it takes a personal invitation to become involved in a new activity, which is what happened today when Tony and I volunteered to be a driver for Room at the Inn.

Room At the Inn is a 24-hour emergency shelter for families dealing with homelessness. The shelter is run by the Sisters of Divine Providence, and serves 20 people daily at their day site. The clients are transported by volunteers to spend the night at different churches, where they are served two meals--dinner and breakfast, share in an evening of fellowship, and stay overnight.

Kelly, a member of my woman's study group, approached the group earlier in the year about volunteering for this activity. I had noted with interest the introduction of this ministry several months ago, but it got lost among all the other ministries and I never actually signed up for it. I was really happy that Kelly laid the groundwork and did the initial organization. I got a follow up e-mail from Joan, who organizes the monthly event, a couple of weeks ago.

I was told to expect 3 passengers in our car, and to arrive at the day site between 5:00 and 5:15. We drove a very nice woman and her two sons to our church's facility and dropped them off there. The whole thing only took about an hour, and was a great way to get to know someone who's different than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment