Updates

Monday, August 18, 2008

New Thing #220--Electronic

Last time I was at the library I picked up a brochure about the e-media services they offer. I was surprised to read that the St. Louis County Library has recently added the ability to download eAudiobooks, eBooks, and videos if you have a library card.

It sounded interesting to me. Today I browsed through their selection of videos. There weren't a lot of blockbusters or new releases available. However, some of the instructional videos caught my eye, so today I downloaded a video from the library.

There are several media providers listed on the library Website, and they all seem to operate slightly differently. I used OverDrive, the only company that offered videos.

The downloading process was easy. First I downloaded the OverDrive software, then picked my video (an exercise video called "Soul Sweat"), and downloaded it. Even though I have a fast DSL connection, it still took about an hour to finish the download, so I did some housework and kept checking on the progress. After it was completed, I clicked "Play", and my video immediately started!

The video can stay on my hard drive for seven days, then it expires. If I had chosen an Audiobook or eBook I could keep it for 14 Days; some of the other providers have different rules about downloads.

I've mentioned in the past that I think it's weird to watch something on a small computer screen; that was certainly a disadvantage of this format. The quality of the video was pretty good, and the music was ok coming out of my dinky monitor speakers.

4 comments:

  1. That's really cool that you can download those. I'll have to find my library card and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to investigate what is over here, as I love audio books though never manage to stay awake for a whole one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know they had those. Very cool. I've been wondering for a while how libraries would start dealing with all of the ebooks & video-on-demand type services available for pay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. I didn't know about that. I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete